Google's core updates hit hard, and publishers spend 3 to 6 months climbing back to where they started. That's not guesswork, that's what the data shows. But here's what most small-business owners miss: if you're planning a site migration, a platform change, or a domain rebuild, the timing matters like hell.
Move your site right after a core update drops, and you've just stacked two recovery windows on top of each other. Your visibility tanks, and instead of six months to climb back, you're looking at nine or ten. You're stuck in the fog for longer than you bargained for, and your phone goes quiet.
The stack effect compounds your pain
Your site visibility depends on two things: Google's algorithm, and Google's understanding of your site structure. Core updates shake up the algorithm. Migrations shake up the structure. When both happen close together, you're not dealing with two three-month recoveries. You're dealing with compounded confusion.
Google crawls your new site, figures out the redirects, indexes everything from scratch, then evaluates you again under the new core update rules. That's three layers of friction at once. The timing data shows site migrations alone take 1 to 3 months just to settle. Add a core update to that, and you're stacking the timelines in the worst possible way.
That's not how you want your climb to go.
Timing beats luck every time
Here's the move: know when core updates drop or are coming. If Google just rolled out an update last month, hold steady. Don't migrate. Let your site settle under the new algorithm for 90 days. Once your visibility stabilizes, then you can plan bigger moves.
If you know an update is coming in the next month or two, do your migration first. Let your new site settle for two to three months, build that stability signal, then you're better positioned for the next update when it lands.
Most small-business owners don't think about this at all. They just migrate when it makes sense for the business and hope. Hope is not a strategy.
Get your actual numbers first
Before you plan anything big, pull a clear picture of where your site stands today. How much visibility have you lost in recent months? Are you climbing, or still in recovery? That tells you whether now's a good window to move, or whether you should wait.
That's what the free geo-check is for. Run it, see your real numbers, and you'll know whether now is the time to move mountains or whether you should let the weather settle first.
If you want someone tracking this and planning around it for you, Handle My Visibility takes it off your plate. It's $197 / month, first month $157.60 with code VETTA20. We watch your visibility window, we plan your moves around the core update calendar, and we make sure you're never caught in an avalanche.
Run my free check at zakrproductions.com/tools/geo-check and you'll have your answer in five minutes. Or let me know if a done-for-you tier makes more sense.
#LeaveTheHerd